Here is a yoga sequence for your solar plexus chakra. This is the third post in a series of yoga sequences for the chakras.
The solar plexus chakra, Manipura, the ‘jewel city’ is associated with emotions, confidence, will power, decisions, personal opinions, purpose. This chakra governs the emotional body and it is your power and transformation centre.
It is the third chakra located between the navel and the diaphragm.
Its element is fire and the corresponding endocrine gland is the pancreas.
Its colour is yellow and its mantra is RAM.
The ruler of the solar plexus chakra is the sun. It is often associated with absorbing prana (life force) from the sun and food. It is also linked to digestion, the digestive fire (agni in Ayurveda) and is related to how we process (digest) life events and our emotions. It is also related to the psyche and to our gut feelings, our intuition.
Manipura is sometimes called the ‘cosmic door’ as this chakra is of great help on our spiritual development journey.
The animal totem of this chakra is the ram. This male sheep is the symbol of conquest, personal power and new beginnings. The ram leaps and hops effortlessly in a difficult terrain where no one else dares going. Very proud when he succeeds, the ram holds his horns majestically, like a crown.
Unbalanced solar plexus chakra
An unbalanced Manipura can result in:
- Need for external validation
- Lack of self-confidence, self-worth and self-esteem
- Lethargy, passivity, inactivity, depression
- Sluggishness in digestion and/or binge eating
- Dogmatic conformity
- Over confidence
Balanced solar plexus chakra
A balanced Manipura will result in:
- clear sense of direction
- determination, will power, taking action
- great self-belief and self-esteem
- feeling confident in yourself and your abilities
- considerable amount of physical and mental energy (dynamic but not overactive)
- choices and decisions made are in alignment with your essence
Affirmations to balance this chakra could be
- I am empowered/ strong/ powerful/ courageous/ confident
- I am worthy of success/ happiness/ love…
- I take responsibility for my actions, choices, thoughts, emotions and feelings
- I allow myself to shine – I am more than enough
- I assert my boundaries – It’s ok for me to say ‘no’
- I trust and believe in myself- I can do it
- I have the power to manifest my dreams
Mudra for Manipura chakra
Mudra for opening your solar plexus
Bring your fingertips together, thumbs against each other, forming a triangle.
To learn more about mudras and how you can use them for healing, read the post on ‘Mudras for Healing and Transformation’.
Essential oils to balance the solar plexus
Chamomile, bergamot, cedarwood, rosemary to soothe the solar plexus.
Ginger, cinnamon, lemon, clove, black pepper to open this chakra.
A meditation for your solar plexus chakra
Light a candle and some incense for this fire meditation. Weather permitting, you could also meditate in the sun, as fire is the element of this chakra.
Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position with your spine straight, or lie down in Savasana, Corpse Pose.
Take a few deep breaths through the nose to center yourself and to start calming the mind.
Bring your awareness to the present moment and to the rising and falling of your breath in the abdominal region.
Imagine a little flame or a small ball of fire in your solar plexus. Visualise it grow a little more with each inhale. Watch it expand and radiate its warm energy and glow outwards, as you keep breathing deeply and steadily.
Feel the warmth in the solar plexus area and observe it spread throughout your entire being.
Enjoy this positive, warm, strong, wise and confident radiance as it emanates from your power centre to every single cell in your body. Bathe yourself in this cosmic and nourishing energy for as long as you need to support your growth, self-acceptance, confidence, power and transformation.
After the meditation, inhale lift the arms above head, interlace the fingers, release the index fingers and stretch up towards the sky. Exhale sweep the arms down with a loud sound ‘Aaaahhhh’. Repeat 3 times. Close your eyes and notice what has been stirred or release.
Journaling prompts to support your Manipura
- What are my favourite things/qualities/traits about myself?
- Am I in control of my personal power? What can I do to increase my personal power?
- When was the time I felt most courageous in my life?
- What scares me most? Why does it scare me? How can I overcome this fear?
- Do my intentions and choices make me feel confident and empowered?
- What new things, poses, languages, skills can I learn?
- I feel most confident when….
Music for Manipura
A Yoga Sequence for your solar plexus chakra
Before doing this sequence, make sure to do a few Cat Cow pose to warm up your spine and do a few rounds of Sun Salutations to generate heat throughout the whole body and start activating the solar plexus.
Yoga Sequence Solar Plexus Chakra (Click to access pdf)
What are your favourite twisting asanas to stimulate your solar plexus chakra? How did you feel after this sequence? What came up for you?
Share your thoughts and sensations in the comments. I love hearing from you!
Catch up on the previous sequences
Extra tips to balance Manipura
I would also recommend making and drinking golden milk to soothe the digestive system, find comfort and self-care in a warm (remember this chakra is associated with fire) and healthy drink. Check out my recipe here.
Spend time in the sun to recharge your solar plexus.
THE MINDFUL WEEK JOURNAL
Do you want to reduce stress and anxiety, be more present, reconnect with yourself and become more mindful in your daily life?
Sign up below to receive my free eBook The Mindful Week Journal. You will find daily mindfulness activities you can easily incorporate in your routine. They will help you increase your self-awareness and create a deeper sense of inner peace.