The third eye chakra, Ajna, meaning ‘to know’ or ‘to perceive’, is about intuition, psychic abilities, the right to ‘see’ and self-realisation. The third eye is a mystical and esoteric concept referring to an invisible eye which provides perception beyond ordinary sight. Third eye is the extension of what the mind knowingly perceives.
The third eye chakra, Ajna is the sixth chakra and is located in the forehead, between the eyebrows.
It is said that he who meditates successfully on this chakra destroys the karma of all past lives, and becomes a liberated soul.
The corresponding endocrine gland is the pituitary gland.
It’s element is ether.
Its colour is indigo and its mantra is OM.
Unbalanced Third Eye chakra
An unbalanced Ajna can result in:
- felling ‘out of it’, out of touch with reality
- confusion in what is real and what appears to be real
- hiding in intellectual analysis
- psychic disturbances
- being fearful about the phantasmagorical visions passing before your mind’s eye, especially if the lower chakras are unbalanced
Balanced Third Eye chakra
A balanced Ajna can result in:
- being comfortable in any reality
- clear perception
- psychic abilities, often clairvoyance
- reliable intuition
- seeing energy within and beyond form
Affirmations to balance this chakra could be
- I trust and honour my intuition
- I see my true self
- I am connected to my inner knowing
- My intuition and instincts guide me every day
- My mind is open to new vision and perceptions
- I expand my awareness
- I am connected to my Higher Self
Mudra for Ajna chakra
Mudra for opening your third-eye chakra
Curl your fingers together except the middle fingers. Bring your thumbs together.
To learn more about mudras and how you can use them for healing, read the post on Mudras for Healing and Transformation.
Essential oils to balance the third eye chakra
Palo Santo, Bay Laurel, Angelica root, Patchouli, Vetiver, Majordam.
A meditation to open your third eye chakra
Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position (or on a chair) with your spine straight. Place your palms on your knees.
Close your eyes and start turning your attention inwards.
Take a few deep breaths in and out through the nose to centre yourself and to calm the mind.
When you feel calm and relaxed, bring your awareness to the space just above the eye brows. Notice the energy being generated in this area.
With each inhale, imagine a ball of indigo light growing and expanding in the third eye. With each exhale, release any block related to the third eye and its function. Continue this pattern for as long as it takes for you to feel warmth in the centre of the forehead. The warmth will help healing and opening your chakra.
When you are ready, gently open your eyes and continue your day feeling aligned and connected with yourself.
Journaling prompts to support your Ajna
- What beliefs do I continue to accept that I know are not true?
- If you have had visions, channelling or clairvoyant experiences, what were you doing when they occurred? What state of mind and being were you in?
- Do I accept, honour and follow my intuition?
- When I connect to my third eye energy, what do I see or perceive? How do I feel? What scares me about it? What makes me curious about it?
- I feel intuitively that….
Music for Ajna chakra
You can listen to it as you meditate or as you reflect and journal on the above prompts.
A Yoga Sequence for your third eye chakra
Before doing this sequence, make sure to do a few Cat Cow pose to warm up your body. You can also do a few rounds of Sun Salutations to awaken the whole body.
Yoga Sequence Third eye Chakra (Click to access the pdf document).
Extra tips to open your third eye chakra
Cultivate your intuition: when you have a gut feeling, a sense of ‘knowing’, follow it. Intuition is like a muscle: the more you practise, the stronger it gets.
Cultivate your psychic abilities. Don’t be afraid of them. Ask for guidance and support.
Nurture silence and turn inwards so that you can perceive your inner wisdom.
Catch up on the previous sequences
Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge The Box of Happiness from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of The Box of Happiness’ negligence.
THE MINDFUL WEEK JOURNAL
Do you want to reduce stress and anxiety, be more present, reconnect with yourself and become more mindful in your daily life?
Sign up below to receive my free eBook The Mindful Week Journal. You will find daily mindfulness activities you can easily incorporate in your routine. They will help you increase your self-awareness and create a deeper sense of inner peace.